Sunday, June 16, 2013

Food - Take 2 - Father's Day

This is my 2nd post in my June topic for my H&H (Homesteaders and Homeschoolers) blog assignment: FOOD!

Father's Day

My husband wasn't home today for Father's Day as he was "out making the bacon." Since he wasn't home, the kids and I decided to surprise him and make him his favorite dessert: cheesecake!

I am a bit of a cheesecake snob; I also love cheesecake and am really picky about them! Think Cheesecake Factory as setting the bar. :-)
I think due to this fact, I have never attempted a "real" one. Meaning, I have made the no-bake cheesecakes, but not tried the real thing. I think I have been afraid it won't live up to the amazing ones I've had before. I am a good cook, but don't have a lot of courage with the dessert spectrum. 

I decided to be brave though and found a recipe and bought the ingredients. Then, I scrapped that recipe as I realized I didn't own (nor had I even heard of) a springform pan nor did I have a clue how to do a "water bath." Guess I should have looked at the recipe a little more before buying the ingredients!

So, I scrambled and looked online and found a recipe that neither needed a springform pan- (which- sidenote- now that I know what that is- I want one! How cool!) or required learning how to do a water bath. I also had to find one that had the same ingredients I had already bought!

I settled on one from Philadelphia Cream Cheese that cooked in a 9x13 pan. Yep, 9x13! Quite a bit different from any cheesecake I've tried, but I was in desperate need of one that didn't need the springform and I have TONS of 9x13s!

Perhaps the real gift this Father's Day will be my husband trying this new creation.... not only did the kids help make it (insert a yikes! here!), but my mixer died while making it and I had to mix it ALL by hand.

 I have had the worst luck with mixers! I had a stand mixer I loved (not a KitchenAid dream mixer by any means, but a nice Hamilton Beach that was a Black Friday deal my husband got me for like $40) and the beaters rusted! Instead of just replacing them like a normal person, I bought a cheapo Walmart one. Apparently a bad move.

Well, fingers crossed it turns out okay! At least the kids had fun making it and are excited to give it to Brian! He is such a good dad, he will pretend it is the best cheesecake he has ever had! :-)

Zoe was in charge of making the graham cracker crumbs

Cian made the crust

Grace helped me hand mix the cheesecake part

2 comments:

  1. Mel, was it easy to get out of the pan? The spingform is your only man for a good cheesecake, couldn't live with out it... I remember Brian is very fond of a pavlova if the baking bug gets you again. only a sheet pan required but you would definitely need the mixer... happy baking! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have you over for baking 101 and we will make things in water baths! One Of my favorite desserts calls for a water bath---chocolate brownie pudding!!

    ReplyDelete