Friday, June 7, 2013

What's the Beef?

Post 1 for my Homesteaders and Homeschoolers June blogging topic: FOOD!!



For this week, I decided to write about my favorite homemade food: ROAST BEEF!

When I was a little girl, my favorite meal was when my mom would make roast beef in the pressure cooker. 
I remember fighting with my brother over the potatoes that came out with the roast because they were SOOO delicious. She would get about a full 5 lb bag in there and there STILL wouldn't be enough!


This one is just to give you an idea, (it's just a free image I found online), but you can see how yummy it looks.

I remember how much work this meal was for my mom, but she would do it since it was my favorite! I also remember how long it took to cook. Even for a pressure cooker, it would still take like 3 hours start to finish. When I was a kid, it might as well have been 20 hours because it seemed like forever! The way my mom (and now I) make it, we cook the meat alone for an hour, release the steam (takes forever!!), then add potatoes and baby carrots and start it up again. It is worth it in the end for that fall apart roast beef. It can't be rushed. I remember once my mom tried to rush it and the regulator shot off the top! I think that must have been why they now have safety value in case the steam needs out!

Here are some funny things about this meal:

1. When I was first learning how to cook it, once I tried to speed up the regulator and just took it off. I ended up with a "beautiful" yellow steam mark all over my low kitchen ceiling that had the track lighting in it.

2. My husband, who loves my cooking, doesn't like my favorite meal. :(
I hardly ever make it since he won't eat it. It's just an expensive meal to do for me, myself and I. He will eat the potatoes and carrots of course.

3. I love when I watch Chopped or Next Food Network etc.. and someone can't work a pressure cooker. It makes me feel good that I know how and these cooking pros can't figure it out! I want to yell at the t.v., "line up the arrows, just line up the arrows!"

4. What kid has roast beef as their favorite meal?!? This girl!




1 comment:

  1. I am impressed that you can use a pressure cooker! We have one that was my gma's but we don't know how to use it!!

    ReplyDelete