Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Teaching about the Triduum

Yesterday, the kids and I were reading their children's Bible called Catholic Bible Stories for Children by Ann Ball with Julianne M. Will.

We talked for quite a bit about the Last Supper and Judas' betrayal. Cian and Zoe were really bothered by the picture of Judas leaving.
 They asked me lots of questions and we talked about God's plan. Then we discussed why Good Friday is called "Good" Friday. Although, it was cute that Cian suggested it be called "Awful Friday" understanding a 6-year-old's idea of the death of someone. So, we talked about Easter and how we will celebrate that Jesus is risen from the dead. I think it "clicked" for Cian what we celebrate in the Triduum cannot be isolated events.
On a side note- Cian was equally excited he can use the "A" word again Sunday. 

I really love this children's Bible and I think the illustrations are so important for kids. They are hearing the Bible and seeing the Bible in pictures. It is very dramatic to see Judas choosing to leave. The kids' response was, "I would NEVER do that to Jesus."

Isn't that our own response, "I would never betray Jesus like that."

With that statement in mind, I was really challenged and inspired by reading these words of Pope Francis today. These are from his homily from Mass this morning.

"Speaking poorly of someone else is equivalent to selling them. Like Judas, who sold Jesus for thirty pieces of silver. "

'The Pope wanted to leave them a thought on the action of Judas, one of Jesus' friends, who did not hesitate to sell him to the chief priests. “Jesus was like a commodity; he was sold. He was sold at that moment”, the Pope emphasized, “and also very frequently sold in the market of history, in the market of life, in the market of our lives. When we opt for thirty pieces of silver, we set Jesus aside”.'


I really stopped when I read this. Of course I have never sold Jesus, but have I? Have I chosen to treat others like a commodity? Have I done all I can to befriend others and make others feel loved? What we do to others we do to Jesus. Some food for though as we prepare to enter the Paschal Triduum tomorrow.

Here is a link to the whole article I read if anyone is interested:
http://www.news.va/en/news/never-speak-poorly-of-others

1 comment:

  1. Gave me chill bumps....very convicting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete