Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papam!

Habemus Papam! We have a Pope!
Photo
Cardinal Bergoglio is chosen to guide and lead the Catholic Church and chooses the name Pope Francis.

After hearing there was white smoke coming out of the Sistine Chapel chimney, Grace, Cian, Zoe and I sat watching excitedly awaiting the announcement of who was chosen to be the new Pope today. Since we homeschool, we turned on the t.v. in the living room and we sat as a family awaiting the announcement. I hope they will remember this special time and how we witnessed it together as a family.

I had just begun Monday teaching them about the College of Cardinals, which Cardinals would be in the  Papal Conclave, and how the election of the Pope would take place. They enjoyed learning more about our Church and Cian has decided he wants to be a Cardinal. (Must be the cool red robes! Lol!) The Conclave began yesterday and today: Habemus Papam!!

Reasons I am excited for our new Pope-

I love that Pope Francis is from Latin America. I pray he will bring great witness and focus to the real issues of our Church and needs of our world. I believe he will be a witness for the poor and marginalized. This is from his first words as the Pope today to the people gathered and those watching all over the world, "And now let us begin this journey, the Bishop and people, this journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over all the Churches, a journey of brotherhood in love, of mutual trust. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the whole world that there might be a great sense of brotherhood . "

I love that Pope Francis began with prayer, recited prayers with the people, and asked for our collective prayers to our Lord for him as our new Pope. "And now I would like to give the blessing, but first I want to ask you a favour. Before the bishop blesses the people I ask that you would pray to the Lord to bless me – the prayer of the people for their Bishop. Let us say this prayer – your prayer for me – in silence. "

I love that Pope Francis chose his name to be Pope Francis. In days to come, I am sure we will hear more about a Jesuit choosing Francis! I have great admiration of St. Francis. His call to repair the Church. His care for all of God's creation. His leaving riches behind. I think his name choice speaks about Pope Francis.
My FAVORITE quote of all time is from St. Francis (in fact I think I should add it on my blog!). "Preach the Gospel always, when necessary, use words. " - St. Francis of Assisi

I love that Pope Francis shows great humility. Hearing and reading the stories today about how Cardinal Bergoglio would take the bus to work. That he chose not live in a fancy house rather an apartment and take the bus instead of being driven by a chauffeur.

What an exciting day!

 Thank you Holy Spirit for guiding the cardinals in selecting our new Pope, Pope Francis.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Our neighbors' son became a priest a few years ago...I think it was for the very cool party and not the robe! Seriously though, I love that he already has thoughts of serving Christ and others!

    ReplyDelete