Friday, August 24, 2012

NAMING OUR HOMESCHOOL

So I read somewhere that when you start homeschooling you should name your homeschool. I also remember that it strongly suggested that you include the whole family in the naming process. Letting everyone give their ideas as a family makes everyone feel "ownership" of your school.

I decided that I wanted to let all the kids give ideas on what we should name our homeschool.

My 3 year old daughter suggested we name it "homeschool."
My 5 year old son suggested "Mommy's school." (My oldest shot that down as it sounded as if Mommy was in school!)
My 8 year old daughter wanted to use their initials, however GCZE School is a little tough to say!
After deciding none of those would be right for us, we turned to my husband for ideas!

He came up with the perfect name! 

Teach Academy - pronounced tee-yakh 

Of course it's been a few years since he's taken Gaelic, and you are getting my translation of the phonetic sounds in print, but the word "teach" in Gaelic means "HOUSE." 

How perfect for our Irish family. How perfect for our HOME school. 

-Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I love the name and can't wait to hear about all of your homeschooling adventures! I'm sure my public school kids can benefit from some of the things you do because they have a mama who likes education! Can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word teach means home? I am a corny person who thinks that is beautiful! What a great way to start this school year and the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete