Thursday, August 30, 2012

Learning, Life & Lasagna

Homeschooling is going so great! The kids are loving it and I cannot believe their constant excitement and joy for learning! I can barely keep up with 3 doing multiple school subjects as they cannot wait to move onto the next workbox and see what awaits them! You'd think it was Christmas morning! Talk about jumping right into homeschooling for the first time ever!

 We have been getting our individual lessons done in the morning, alternating who is working directly with me with the other two working independently, and been ready to move onto group unit study learning after lunch. This is our time for history and science.

After all our "core" subjects are done we do either art or music. Today though, we decided to do some "home economics." Yep, we took on the kitchen. Okay, it would be important to insert here that the kitchen is my sports field. I like to be in charge and I like to do things my way. There's no "I" in team, but there is in "KITCHEN." Lol! Seriously though, I usually do my own thing and am not great about involving the crew of kids unless it's Christmas cookies or something special like that.

Today though, as a special project for our weekly state, Illinois, we used our Eat Your Way Through the USA book and took on LASAGNA! (what Illinois and lasagna have to do with each other though I'm still not sure! Isn't lasagna from Italy?!? Enlighten me if you know, okay?? Anyhow, we decided to go with it!)

 



Today I not only had fun cooking with my children, but they were learning. They learned about cooking of course, but it was so much more than that. They learned about measuring. They did patterns as they took turns building our lasagna. They learned about fractions as they split their topping contents into layers. They learned that learning doesn't have to come from a book. They learned lessons about love and life and I learned to let go and let OUR kitchen get dirty.


 I'd say it was a pretty great day! Thanks lasagna! And you were yummy too!



1 comment:

  1. I love that you posted this. I totally forget about the all the household things my kids know because we homeschool. Sounds silly but now there is the time to involve them - and require it. My parents were wonderful but I wasn't prepared to live on my own very well because my mom did so much stuff while I was at school - laundry, cooking, cleaning, shopping, ect. My kids are a part of all of those processes. Thanks for the reminder. PS: Totally invite us over if you make that again. It looks AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete