Saturday, April 27, 2013

To K4 or not to K4- that is my question.

Here is an example of my "homeschool newbie-ness" (probably not a word- I made it up because it sounded cool, lol).

I just attended a homeschool conference and was so excited to get almost all my curriculum for next year!

I only have 3 things left to buy:
* I still need to buy my (Catholic) religion books (no Catholic publishers were at the conference). 
* I really liked McRuffy Phonics/Spelling/Reading/Language series I used this year for Cian's 1st grade and plan to buy it again for 2nd grade, but they weren't at the conference either.
* I need to decide what to do for Zoe next year. Hence the title.

For Zoe this year I used a download purchase from Confessions of a Homeschooler website called "Letter of the Week" preschool. We have liked it and all the small motor skills have been great. Her coloring, scissors skills, and writing have drastically improved! She was 3 when we started homeschooling this past fall, so it was a perfect preschool curriculum for her.

SO, here is the homeschool newbie statement: "You mean I get to decide my child's educational path based on her readiness and abilities and not when her birthday falls on the calendar?!?!?!" Lol! It is so true though!

It was a easy decision to skip a grade this year with Cian. He was beyond what he would have received in a Kindergarten classroom where he would have been this year by his birthday. For example, he has been reading since right around his 3rd birthday and he is currently enjoying 5th grade chapter books. (I do want to send a "shout out" to some amazing K/1st grade teachers like my mom, my friend LJ, and another good friend AK, who when a teacher before homeschooling, went out of her way to provided extra resources for her students that were above their grade level. Those kind of teachers do exist out there, the problem is just getting lucky enough to get one!
(Please note, I am not trying to imply that everyone has to homeschool. I'm just saying it has been what is best for our family. I also am not trying to bash teachers! They are incredibly overworked and underpaid! My family has TONS of teachers and I respect their hard work and dedication. I was a teacher myself for nearly a decade!)

(Okay, additional side-note, I also don't want this blog post to come across as negative towards the school my kids attended before we decided to homeschool. Although there were academic areas I felt they should have done more, especially at the K level, there are some great teachers there too. We loved the preschool teachers for example. If they ever had a tired or stressed day, the kids NEVER saw it. They put their heart and love into their job and the kids feel it! The 4-year-old preschool teacher Cian had was very accommodating and let him leave class to do Accelerated Reader tests on the computer. (It just said "Cian, 1st grade", lol!)

Okay, not trying to ruffle any feathers here. Back to the topic at hand: Zoe's curriculum for next year.

I have been trying to decide what to do with her next year. Choice #1: I am so in that traditional school mentality that she is 4 so she must be needing to do 4-year-old preschool. However, I then remember that a particular month on the calendar doesn't define my child and that may not be the best choice for her.

Then, I think, what if I do Kindergarten with her? Choice #2. Well, I like to plan ahead and my little organizing brain starts to think about my future 17 year old Zoe in college. I'm not too worried about Cian going to college at 17, he will turn 18 that same November. Zoe however, is a January birthday. So then that worry over that silly calendar sneaks back in! She would be 17 that whole first semester.

Okay, enter into the discussion: Choice #3 - K4, Kindergarten for 4 year-olds.
I am very interested in this! I have done internet searches on homeschool K4, but what is interesting is I have actually found through those searches that there are quite a few public schools doing it too!

Anyhow, back to the homeschool K4. There are only a few that I found and the majority will not work for my family. I am seeking ideas other have. Also, what others have done with a 4.5 year old for that school year. Preschool, K4, Kindergarten??? Feedback and ideas most welcome!!

I am hoping there are more programs out there, but these are what I have found:

Confessions of a Homeschooler has a K4 program. Now this is going to sound weird since I adore their preschool program, but I wonder if this is "good" enough. What I mean is as far as I can find it is not accredited as a K4. The creator is very creative and very talented, but I get nervous with no education credentials for her or on the program.. Also, I wonder if it will be a big enough step up from the preschool? Thoughts? Has anyone used it?

Ironically, the only 2 homeschool curriculum companies I found that have a K4 are A Beka and Bob Jones. Both of these companies are anti-Catholic. I am sure at their preschool level they are probably fine, but as a matter of principle neither of these companies will get my business or money.

(Okay, I feel I need to add yet another side-note. I just want to make the statement that I am not against all Protestant publishers and  for certain subjects have no problem using some them. There is a big difference between a publisher being non-Catholic and anti-Catholic. There are many publishers that are Protestant AND Catholic friendly if that makes sense. These particular two companies are not.)

Okay, focus needed, lol. I am looking for ideas and suggestions for Zoe who will be 4.5 next fall.
What have other homeschoolers found to work?
What are your thoughts on a 4.5 year old in preschool, K4 or K?
Do you know of any other companies that offer a K4 curriculum?
Thanks for any suggestions!







2 comments:

  1. I don't have any recommendations, but like your posts about curriculum choices and reviews of them. I think you know your kids best and what their capabilities are...you will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every child develops at their own rate. In education our goal is always to challenge without overwhelming them beyond their capabilities. My personal opinion is if she is ready, then why hold her back? I've known plenty of individuals who enter college at 17 and nowadays most high school students are taking dual credit classes. Programs like this are growing rapidly and universities are offereing more and more classes to high school students.

    You have an opportunity to really individualize your child's education, so I would say to not let traditional ideas of "school" hold you back! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete