Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Teach Academy's Report Card

My thoughts on our 1st semester of homeschooling and goals for this semester


The first semester of homeschooling was such a blessing for our family. 

I felt in teaching in a high school that I made a difference in some of their lives and I always felt it was important, but I feel this is what I was called to do. 
-seeing my children learn and grow
-seeing them thrive and achieve 
-seeing them LOVE schooling
-watching them interact and having fun with each other 
-seeing the little ones learning from watching and listening to the older ones

It has just been so rewarding for us all. So overall, I give the whole experience an A+!

Side note- I do still hate lesson plans. Didn't escape those! Lol! 

I plan to keep using all the same curriculum for the whole school year. I have a totally eclectic collection. (click there to go to that page) The only subject I may look for new is math. We will see. I will look at it again in May/June and after I attend a homeschool conference and see first hand what else is out there.

One thing that has surprised me is that we are busier now that we homeschool. I know it seems like an oxymoron: always on the go HOMEschooling! I just love the freedom that the homeschooling schedule permits. The oldest three are all taking homeschool tumbling and trampoline. We are doing homeschool swim lessons and art classes (see below). They attend a monthly science and nature class too. We have also been able to do lots more field trips- we have a musical coming up this month we are all excited to attend. Of course, we still are doing dance and soccer- those we did before we homeschooled as well.

For my Needs Improvement areas: One thing I'd like to do more of: ART! We are covering all the "regular subjects" but I'd love to do more art. I'd only give myself a C on art with Zoe. We do an art project each week and have tons of fine motor activities and games, but she loves it and I need to do more!

Grace attended a weekly homeschool art class for ages 8 and up that she loves. We will continue with that, but Cian was too young to attend so I found another art class that is 5 and up and enrolled them both in that. I have been impressed so far! 

The first week they did Alexander Calder inspired mobiles. Here are the kids:



This week they studied Islamic architecture and did watercolor painting of that. Grace's is still drying at the studio, but here is Cian's:


I'd also love to incorporate more MUSIC!! I do little "sing songs" with Zoe and Ellison, but want more ideas on things to do with Grace (8) and Cian (6). SO, homeschoolers and teachers, what are some ideas you can share? What do your homeschool kids or classroom kids enjoy? Any ideas are appreciated. I just got a TON of little instruments from the Target dollar bin- so we'll be trying those out Friday!

4 comments:

  1. We have been using Art adventures at Home this year and love it. It is really easy to use with all of my kids. Last year we studied a different composer each month. This year I have really dropped the ball - no regular music going on here. We have looked into E taking music at the christian school here in town in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! I've never heard of it. Ease of use with lots of kids sounds very appealing! I appreciate the recommendation! I want to find out some ideas that work and look for them at the conference this fall. Cool! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love how you took time to evaluate yourself. I think that is so wise...and something I need to do.

    I see a lot of you and have been blessed to see what a wonderful job you are a doing. Your children are obviously learning but more than that, they are a joy to be around. (No wonder you wanted to keep them with you and not send them to school - you are doing a great job raising them, you wanted to enjoy them!) You are getting an A! Great job, momma!!!!

    Art and music are the areas I also struggled with. Now that we are doing Classical Conversations, I am feeling better because it is done at least 1x a week. They do 6 weeks of drawing, 6 weeks of composers, 6 weeks of artist, 6 weeks of tin whistle (reading music). Of course I would love you to join is in CC but maybe scheduling just a half hour a week for a few weeks at a time is an idea to use. Nan is often excited about the topic and spends her free time researching and doing more of the topic!

    Nan also takes piano lessons so she practices at least a half hour a day and reviews note flashcards and does theory work (some assigned from her teacher some assigned from me) each week. I don't know anything about music so this is something I am willing to pay someone else to help me out with!

    ReplyDelete