Sunday, September 7, 2014

PreK / K Science

When Zoe was in preschool, I had her just listen in to the older two kids Noeo Science Biology I (1st-3rd grade). This year, the oldest two are doing Noeo Chemistry II (4th to 6th grade) and since the first lesson on day one was labeling an atom... I decided I needed to find something a little bit more LITTLE kid-friendly for Zoe (K) and Ellie (Pre-K 3)!

I found this book at a local teacher store and LOVE it!!

How Does It Do What It Does? by Frog Street Press


The first lesson is "I Take Care of My Body." The girls LOVED the egg experiment that teaches about why we need to brush our teeth! They also loved that it had a song to go with it! (Each lesson does!) Here are some pictures from the Egg Experiment:


Before going to bed, the girls put a hard-boiled egg into a glass with water and a glass with coke.

Eggs in and ready to spend the night in water and coke!

Note to self- if doing this in the future, don't do it RIGHT before bed! The girls were so excited hypothesizing about what would happen to their eggs it took them forever to go to bed!

The next morning when they pulled their eggs out they couldn't believe what the coke one looked like!
 Ellie's expression cracks me up! I'm so glad I caught it on camera!
 The point of this lesson was to talk about how we take care of our teeth and why we brush our teeth! We don't want to go to bed and let food and drinks stain our pretty teeth! 
So next, we took some toothpaste on our finger and try to clean our coke egg.
 And it worked! If you look closely, you can see the white spot on Ellie's egg.
 These worksheets were also in the new book to fill out about what they learned. I like that it was a coloring activity since Ellie is just now learning to write letters, but she could color what she saw!

Here is Zoe coloring and Zoe's final experiment paper:



My only complaint about the book is that it only has 10 lessons! I wish there was one for every week! I decided to do a lesson every other week and fill it out with lessons from Pinterest projects I could find.

I have been pinning away on pinterest- my apologies to my pinterest followers who had to scroll through the day I pinned TONS, lol!

Here is what we did for the "I Take Care of My Body" lessons the past two weeks beside the egg experiment and listening to the song 57 million times:


 We exercised and listened and danced to the song from the book 57 million times. Did I mention they asked to listen to the song 57 million times??

We did this worksheet about The Foods We Eat I found on Pinterest.
 Zoe's turned out really pretty!

I liked the idea a lot, but was a little creeped out by feeding the faces, so I made a worksheet that had 2 columns, " Every Day" and "Once in a While." Most of the worksheets called the foods "good" and "bad," and I didn't like that idea at all. I think if you make a food forbidden, it makes it more desirable. So, I called mine fine to eat "every day" and eat "once in a while". I did have a hard time not cracking a guilty smile when they had to put soda on the once in a while side. Pot, kettle, Mommy....
Ellie LOVED glue sticking on her foods!!

 Ellie's:

Zoe's:

For a final project, we made this cute skeleton out of Q-tips!

All of these additional ones we did can be found on my Pinterest page, by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment