Sunday, September 7, 2014

More Noeo Science Chemistry II FUN!

We use NOEO Science for our Science Curriculum. I really like that it doesn't use a textbook. It is Charlotte Mason style in that way. Normally, not my style, but I love it for Science! We read books and encyclopedias instead. I also really like the experiments they match up with the reading. I am not a huge "lets try crazy experiments" person, so it works well for me as the parent also. All the experiments are simple to do, use household items, aren't going to blind anyone etc.. yet they match up nicely with the lessons on molecules, atoms, ions, and now states of matter, density etc.. that the kids are learning.

Here are a few from last week and the week prior:

Do Hot Molecules Move Faster Than Cold Molecules

The kids put food coloring into a hot cup and a cold cup of water.
 The food coloring moved much faster in the hot water.
 Even when we were done making our conclusions and I was cleaning up, the cold was still not fully spread!

Is there space between Sugar Crystals?


Adding Sugar to Water

Stirring



Are Gas Molecules Farther Apart Than Liquid Molecules

 
The CO2 in the balloon:
 The kids really liked this one!
 The kids most important question after the experiment was, "can we drink the coke now?" LOL! I told them no! We NEVER eat or drink anything we have used for a science experiment as a standard rule for safety.
I didn't tell them we have FOUR unopened bottles left we didn't use!
I am a Mt. Dew girl though, so I think I will "Share a Coke" with my friend Bethany!



1 comment:

  1. I think I need to look at your science for next year. I love Charlotte Mason. Thanks for sharing a coke with me!

    ReplyDelete