Sunday, February 17, 2013

FAT TUESDAY and the FLU

MARDI GRAS!!!

KID STYLE!!!

Well, as you know with kids, things often have a way of not going the way you planned. The flu has been taking people out left and right and we had been very lucky that it hadn't gotten us yet! Well, the Friday before Mardi Gras Ellison got the stomach flu. So not awesome. I've been very lucky that she is the first one we had get it that young (she's 1.5 yrs). She's at that age where she is too old to make them stay put and too young to get them to aim at anything when getting sick if you know what I mean. As I said, not awesome. Brian came home from work as early as he could Friday, but had to be out of town for soccer all weekend so I was in the trenches with Ellie.

So, anyhow, come Sunday night I think it was (it's all a bad blur now!) she was better and big shocker, I got it. Thanks Love Bug! It came at a not so great time as we had big events that week: Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday, a Valentine's Day party that was actually on Ash Wednesday and then Valentine's Day.

I did manage to take a few photos of the kids doing their Mardi Gras crafts:

Cian making his mask.

Zoe makes a crown and a mask. 
 Grace's mask

 Ellison's crown


I did talk to the kids a little about Mardi Gras. That the season begins on Epiphany (hence the crowns of the Three Wise Men) and goes until the day before Lent begins called Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday. We talked about how people used to get rid of all the items they would fast from and have a big feast on Fat Tuesday. I also told them about the King's Cake I had in New Orleans that we have made a new tradition for our family. Last year I made one, this year I was sick! Luckily a friend told me of a local store that made them so my mom went and got one for us! SOO sweet!

(She also hooked me up with some flu meds and my FAV ice cream!!!)




Enjoying the King's Cake:


1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! The flu but you still partied! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete