Friday, September 7, 2012

"Car-schooling"

Okay, I'll admit it. I (heart) organization!

Homeschooling is going so smoothly because I get everything in my beloved lesson plan book on the weekend and into their workbox bins the evenings before school. But, I want to do soooo much with the kids, scheduling and time management is key.

But, I have found a great new tool! CAR-schooling!

I've been taking the kids to lots of playgroups and organized events with my local homeschooling group. They are a great group of families and the kids are REALLY loving meeting new kids too! I'm also trying to do a field trip each week! (Zoo next week!)

But, with all these extra events and driving, driving, driving, I had to get creative with our daily schedule! We have done afternoon school and even Saturday school - no, not the detention kind, lol!

My new found love is CAR-schooling! In fact, it has actually made the car ride more enjoyable! 

For any parent out there, heck, for anyone who has a sibling, you know the Battle of the Backseat! I know my brother and I waged many wars over that desired middle of the bench seat space! In fact, I have to check with my mom, but I think she might have literally put masking tape down the middle of it to divide it off for my brother and I!

Well, my oldest two are no different! They are constantly getting in each others space, fighting over what goes in the middle and who is invading whose territory. Enter in CAR-schooling and we have had PEACE IN THE MIDDLE SEAT!

I decided when we travel to events I would pack their old backpacks with one or two subjects they can pretty much do independently. For Grace it might be her journal assignment, spelling workbook or grammar workbook. For Cian, his handwriting book, journal, or his math review (his 1st grade book has a 10 section part for review of Kindergarten and since he is skipping Kindergarten, I thought it might be good to do it!)  Anyhow, it has worked GREAT! The kids are loving having their little backpacks packed with assignments and then it's a win-win because we have less to cover when we get home!

Today was the best the kids have ever been in the back of the van! They each had their own assignments to do, but they decided on their own... to help each other! Cian read Grace her spelling words and she spelled them out to him to review for her Friday test. I was so touched that they did that on their own! 

Go CAR-school! You rock! Or should I say rock and roll, hehehe, bad pun- I couldn't resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment