Friday, November 8, 2013

Traditions - Pumpkins


My H&H group has a new blog assignment topic: Traditions. 

Since we just celebrated Halloween, I decided to write about a tradition that I have been doing since I was a little kid: carving pumpkins.

It is a memory I have from way back when my parents were married of the big, huge pumpkin sitting on the dining room table and my parents helping me gut it and cut out the face I drew. What is funny is that I LOVED it and never thought that grown ups might not love the mess, smell, and time consuming activity.

Brian, (although from Ireland, ironically where carving gourds began!), didn't have this tradition growing up. I wanted to carry on the tradition and have been having our family carve pumpkins since Grace was little. Brian has not been a huge fan of the whole event- willing to lift them and clean up, but never wanting to gut them or carve them. This year, he did BOTH! And you know what, I think the kids had more fun this year than ever before and of course Brian did too!

A blast from the past:
2009 Cian, Zoe & Grace


2009 Grace & Cian

And from this year:
Cian 2013

Zoe 2013

Ellie 2013

Grace 2013



2 comments:

  1. We carve every year too. I'm not a fan of the cold goo inside, chad takes care of that, with help from the girls of course, and I clean then roast the seeds.
    Yay for pumpkin carving!!

    ReplyDelete