Monday, August 12, 2013

Where Do We School?

Thanks to a fellow homeschool mom I have found the iHomeschool Network's blog hop. I have added my Curriculum for 2013-2014 to last week's. On last week's, I'm blog number 289, lol! The next topic is School Room Week and I loved the topic and decided to post on where we school!

Here is a link if you want to check them all out! Lots of great blogs and ideas!

iHomeschool Network Curriculum Week
Curriculum Week in the 2013 Not Back to School Blog Hop

Where we school:

We do lots of field trips and adventures so my 1st answer is to say the world is our classroom! :-)

However, we use a lot of our home to school as well so I thought I'd show some of what we do in pictures.

-UPSTAIRS-


DINING ROOM:

We spend quite a bit of our time working at the dining room table. The kids have a great routine of clearing their spots for breakfast, snack and lunch then using it in between for school. Also in our dining room are our charts for morning calendar:
 AND
This pic is from last year so it has lots of COAH's Letter of the Week on it!
Also, the state we did each week, the Saint of the week, etc..
 In our dining room is also our workboxes:
My now newly 2 year old wanted to be included last year, so I made her Dora ones for hers ;-)
 We also begin our day with the Bible and/or a story of a Saint. I keep these books on top of my china cabinet so they are near my charts. 

LIVING ROOM-

Also upstairs is our family computer. It's so messy right now getting ready for back-to-school, but here's a pic from last year of that work area: 


-DOWNSTAIRS- 


KIDS' BEDROOMS:

The kids have desks in their rooms in case they want to have a quieter work area. This is my 6 year old's, I found this at a re-sale shop- it is an old school classroom desk. 


FAMILY ROOM -

I have a couple book cases downstairs that are full of my homeschooling stuff. One is all books in alphabetical order. Another is curriculum and books by subjects (such as math books like counting M&Ms etc..).
 Next to that, I have a new addition this year! Trofast shelves and bins from IKEA! These are so great! I organized them this summer. I have one for each school month and the extras are odds and ends of subjects such as science, music, etc..


 I bought a second Trofast system this summer. The other design I chose was this one:
I plan to use this like I would use busy bags. I have puzzles, games, puppets, magnetic letters, legos, etc... These can be used by my 4, 6 or 9 year old if they need a break or I need one-on-one with one and the others are done. I call this my Busy Time Center.


-THE GARAGE-


Okay, we don't actually school in the garage! :-)
But, we have balls and games and items for PE time, so that counts!
Also, I have to mention the van!

THE VAN

The final area that we do school is in the VAN! We have become pretty great at carschooling! When driving to tumbling or YMCA PE or whatever fieldtrip we have that week, the kids bring along some independent work in their backpacks. They love that they can "knock out" some work before we get home. My now 2 year old was so used to seeing the kids with their backpacks that she INSISTED that she "needed" to have a Dora backpack. I let her use some of her birthday money and buy one we found at Walmart. It is about as big as she is:

So, that's where we school at Teach Academy!






3 comments:

  1. What's the Mind Benders computer program? Great room by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-)
      Mind Benders is a Deductive Thinking Skills CD-Rom from The Critical Thinking Co.
      CriticalThinking.com

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! You have a beautiful family. That pic of your daughter with the backpack on made me smile. God Bless you! Jill

    ReplyDelete